In Uncategorized

Although Utah is a desert state, many residential areas are surrounded by wetlands and filled or soaked with water for at least part of the year. And  regardless of drought conditions, flooding remains a threat to homeowners living near wetlands throughout Summit and Wasatch Counties.

Homeowners insurance does not cover losses due to flooding, so be sure to check your policy. Most flood insurance is written through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), administered by FEMA. There are only a few certified agents in the Wasatch Back area.

“It’s a good idea to have the same agent write your homeowners and flood insurance policies,” says Bonita Varderkooi, Park City State Farm Insurance Agent and flood-insurance specialist. “That way, in the event you need to file a claim, you only have to work with one insurance company,” she says.

Flood insurance policies usually take 30 days from the date of purchase to take effect, so don’t wait until an imminent flood to purchase your policy. If your agent does not write flood insurance, you can either call the State Farm Redstone Center office at 435-657-2220 or visit Market Share Reports to find providers in your general area.